Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Paintings from my Rockport Days

Here was one of my projects when I was attending Montserrat College of Art back in the late 80’s.  I used gouache paint for this one. It was my first hand as Trompe-l'œil, pronounced “tromp loy” which in French means 'deceive the eye'. It's a technique involving extremely realistic imagery in order to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects appear in three dimensions.  It might look like a real wooden box with objects in it, but it is not. It’s all painted on a flat poster board. I included a bunch of my objects from around the house. I still have the sheet of music and can play half of the tune by heart.  And, funny looking back at that shoe I used to wear.




This painting in pastel was inspired by a very frigid wintry sunset.  I kept this image in my memory after my walk there and came back home to recreate it.




Also done in pastel I created this one after my trip up to Vermont.  I do miss the trees in the fall, with their bright red, orange and yellow leaves. I’ve never seen trees so vibrant in color. The colors were amazing.




I frequently drove by these two mailboxes in Rockport to and from my house and finally stopped to take a photo of them. They have that New England charm about them, don’t they?




Last but not least this mansion that sits at Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester, Mass. I have painted this place from so many angles as a series of paintings for an exhibit. I’m just now realizing that even back then I was attracted to painting architecture. First, here's the photo that I used to do the painting.




And here’s the painting also done in pastel.  Part of my daily morning jogs were along this beach, around this mansion and over to the other side to Goucester, and old shipping town and back to my home in Rockport.





And, here I am with my kitty named Dillon. You will notice in the back of us is a large painting which is of this series of large paintings of the mansion above. All of the large series were done in oil.



And here's Dillon all covered in soot after pulling him out of the chimney.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn,

    Love your blog and of course your paintings. I am always in awe at the way you use color, I've never really seen any other artist's work that uses color the way you do. You just seem to know how to blend and use color to make your paintings stand out. Am looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete